Lasting Beauty: Proper Maintenance Practices for Your Iron Fence
Posted in: Fencing
Iron fencing comes in a variety of styles, colors, and arrangements designed to complement any property with traditional aesthetic appeal. Though iron fencing is considered highly durable, periodic maintenance can keep your fencing looking its best year after year. When properly maintained, your iron fence can add lasting beauty to your residential or commercial property with little cost or effort.
Best Maintenance Practices for Iron Fencing
- Remove any vines, weeds, grass, or debris that may have collected around or attached itself to your fence. Place a tarp on the ground to prevent soap and other chemicals from seeping into the ground during the cleaning process.
- Inspect the fencing for any rust or chipped paint. Scrape away chipped paint or rust from the surface of the iron fencing. If not properly removed, surface rust can spread to other areas of the fence. Use a paint scraper and fine wire brush for rust removal.
- Use a gentle detergent and soap to clean the fence. Be sure to allow the fence to dry completely before proceeding to the next step.
- Use a Spray application oil-based primer made for coating metal surfaces to the fence. Allow each thin coat to dry completely before reapplying primer to prevent drips. Be sure each crevice is coated with primer to prevent further rusting or corrosion.
- Once the primer dries, apply an oil based paint to the fence. If possible, use a paint color that is most like the original paint used on your iron fence.
- To maintain your newly painted fence, occasionally clean it with gentle soap and water to remove chemicals and dirt that may come in contact with your fence over time.
- Be sure to check for loose or missing fasteners and replace them as needed.
- Grease gate hinges and other moving areas of your fence to prevent rust and corrosion and promote easy opening and closing.
If you are interested in adding an expertly crafted iron fence to your commercial or residential property, please contact the professionals with Long Fence. For over 65 years, Long Fence has proudly provided top quality fencing products for customers across the U.S.