Say You're Welcome!
Your front porch is like a handshake, welcoming visitors, serving as a connection point with the neighborhood, and role-playing as the first (and sometimes only) impression for passers-by and neighbors.
Whether your front porch is large or small, or even if it’s more of an entrance way than a porch, there are simple things you can do to make it more inviting without breaking the budget.
For instance, one of the easiest things you can do that will have a big impact is to paint the front door. A high gloss coat of paint in a color that pops will instantly give your home a new look.
Other ideas to help you say "Welcome" include:
- Change your hardware. Sleek, bold house numbers really change the look of the house. Add a beautiful, sculptural doorknocker to your newly painted door for even more elegance.
- Hang a canvas or print specifically formulated for the outdoors to one or both walls. Outdoor art looks like stretched canvas, but it's printed on aluminum, coated with a special coating, and able to withstand weather from snow to sunlight.
- Add an outdoor rug to finish off the look of a comfortable, stylish living space.
- Include bright outdoor pillows that pop against neutral furniture.
- Twin urns on either side of the steps, filled with seasonal plantings draw visitors into the space from the outside,
- Curtains made from outdoor fabric can be drawn to block afternoon sun or pulled back and tied for a homey look.
- Don't forget seasonal touches, such as fall pumpkins, themed wreaths and winter evergreens.