In 1945, Henry Long left his job at the Washington DC Department of Public Works and established a small fence company at the corner of 18th and Rhode Island Avenue in Washington DC.
His son Bob joined the business in 1948 and became the sole owner in 1960, moving the company to Tuxedo, Maryland in 1965. A branch office was opened in 1968 in Crofton, Maryland.
A large part of Long’s early success came from developing Long® Environmental Systems, manufactured prefabricated chain link fencing panels that could be bolted together quickly to form dog runs.
Long® Environmental Systems became a major supplier to institutional kennels, research departments and veterinarians throughout the world. The product line expanded and a new company headquarters was built in Capitol Heights, Maryland in 1974. Eventually several more offices were added throughout the metropolitan region.
Today, a new generation of the Long family continues to operate the company. The Long® Fence brand is a household name regionally and has become highly recognized throughout the nation. The Long® Fence sign is synonymous with excellence in residential and commercial products and services.